I’m a keen crafter (I love my sewing machine) and whilst I don’t have as much spare time to sew these days, I’m lucky enough to have my own studio space. Tables and shelving line the room filled with fabric and cotton and as E has grown, there’s also more and more toys! One of my concerns about allowing E to play in the studio, whilst I work, is the floor. We put carpet tiles down as they were hard wearing and easy to fit. The only downside, I think, is that they don’t feel very nice to sit on for any length of time, so I was thrilled to be contacted by Soft Floor Kids offering to send us one of their puzzle play mats for E and I to review.
Soft Floor Kids specialise in foam puzzle play mats, established in 2003 their range includes over 30 different designs including educational and sensory tactile mats suitable for children with special needs.
We were sent the Sensory Number Play Mat (12 pack) which is priced at a reasonable £14.95.
The mat comes in a clear zip bag which is an automatic hit with me as it means I can keep it stored neatly if it’s not in use. There are 12 tiles in total with shapes and the numbers 1 to 10.
- Each tile measures 30cmx30cmx12mm
- Slip resistant surface
- Can be used indoors or outdoors (temporarily)
- Easy to clean and store.
- Made with EVA foam*
- Very durable and hard wearing.
- Comes with a 1 year’s manufacturer’s guarantee
About EVA foam:
*The EVA foam and rubber products used are 100% non-toxic and are independently tested in the UK by SATRA, the materials testing agency. The Soft Floor Kids website states:
“.. All our EVA products are made from high-quality, closed-cell (non-absorbing), Ethylene vinyl Acetate (EVA) foam with Polyethylene (PE) for added flexibility and resistance to tearing. Our foam 100% non-toxic and formamide free. All products are independently tested and certified in the UK by SATRA, the materials testing agency…”
What we thought:
- I love the fact that the mat is bright and the numbers and shapes are removable. E is fascinated with anything she can take apart and put back together and this was no exception. She also spent some time feeling the different textures.
- As mentioned above, I like the fact it can be stored in the clear bag – I wish more baby products came with bags to keep them clean and tidy in!
- Easy to clean – E spilt her juice on the mat. It wasn’t absorbed and cleared away easily with a damp cloth without leaving any mark.
- Easy to use – it only took a few minutes to put together.
Great quality – feels very sturdy comfortable to sit and play on.
All in all, a great quality item at a reasonable price. It kept E amused for quite some time and she was happy to sit and pull all the different numbers and shapes out!
Just to be clear: I was sent the Sensory Number Play Mat (12 pack) to review. All words and opinions are my own.