T's visit to hospital

It's been an eventful weekend here.  

Friday night, T was unsettled all night. I don't think she went for longer than an hour and a half without her waking and crying before she was sick. Once she was sick she settled for a while until the morning. 

When she woke up, she was having stomach cramps and was screaming with each cramp, although fine between them. Because of that and her barely touching any food, we assumed that she had the bug that E had last week, although with one difference. Where E had diarrhoea for several days, T hadn't been for almost a week. Constipation is something T has struggled with since birth and whilst I had given her some fig and lactulose, I hadn't given it too much thought as she had been off her food for so long and not drinking very much. She wouldn't leave my side for more than a few minutes and by Sunday we were all completely exhausted and she was no better, being sick again. 

So I decided to phone the out of hours doctors who saw her quickly and once there he examined her tummy and found quite a sizeable lump in her side which he was concerned about, saying he wasn't sure if was poo or not as it wasn't where he would normally expect it to be and he decided to admit her so that the paediatric team could look at her. 

At this point, D took E to Nanny and Grandad and I headed up to the children's ward. Let me tell you, it was a long walk carrying T and her medical notes and I must admit, I felt quite weepy by this point.  

I often hear people complaining about the NHS and the staff and I must admit, I've been guilty of it myself in the past but I really need to just put it out there that our local hospital, despite the fact it really needs a refurb, is brilliant. In all the times we've been there - and there's been a lot of visits - we've always been seen quite quickly and the staff have all been lovely. And Sunday was no exception and they were brilliant with T. Normally T doesn't like strangers but she really took to the nurses looking after her.  

Confessions of a New Mummy

I won't bore you with all the treatment and details here because, quite honestly, you don't want to hear it - trust me - but it sorted the problem and it didn't take long for her to get back to her usual cheeky self.  

By late evening, it was still up in arms as to whether she was going to be kept in overnight or not but luckily we were allowed home with a treatment plan for her. They are also going to see her in the children's clinic to run some tests and see if anything could be causing it or whether its just 'one of those things'. Even with something like this, its horrible to see your little one in so much pain and seeing them suffering.  

Here's hoping its just one of those things. 

1 comment

  1. Aww! Bless her! It sounds like you had an awful weekend...
    I'm glad your girl is feeling better now x